Sunday, February 1, 2015

(A) Goal Achieved!

I am so happy to report today that I have reached 75 pounds lost, weighing in at 297. Woo! A thrill! In just a few pounds' time, I will be at the lowest weight I've been in I don't know, guessing ten years? I can hardly believe it.

As an active member over at MyFitnessPal, I see posts in the community about how or where that person can get motivation. For me, each new achievement or NSV (non-scale victory) is my motivation. Every new thing that I find I can do or do easier is my motivation. Every morning I wake up and find getting dressed an easy thing because I have clothes that fit is my motivation. Every time I bend over to tie my shoes and not lose my breath is my motivation.

You get the idea. My belief is that ultimately, it has to come from within, otherwise, it's just not going to happen. Sure, you can be inspired by others – and I am ALL the time, it's incredibly helpful to see what obstacles people in a similar situation can overcome – but you really have to want it for yourself, for your health, your well-being. In many ways I feel like what I am doing now is very similar to what I have done in the past few years to lose weight. Even my attitude is fairly much the same. Yet I also feel like this time is so different, and I have been trying to figure out why. I don't have a definitive answer yet, but I think a lot of it is the fact that I have future plans related to my goals, which really helps. I'm constantly thinking of new ways to keep things fresh and interesting so that I can continue on this path without getting bored or too discouraged. I'm reminding myself how much I like to challenge my abilities and how important it is to push myself out of my comfort zone on a regular basis. I try new ways of exercise regularly. I figure out what I enjoy, and I add to the catalog.

I've also truly reframed this as something that is absolutely not a race. I don't have a deadline for when I want to reach my ultimate goal, I only think about the fact that I will absolutely reach it. That is really helpful – it takes a lot of pressure off and gives me the ability to develop a way of eating (a way of living!) that I feel comfortable with, that I am happy with, that never leaves me wanting for anything, for the rest of my life. Yes, I have that "ultimate" goal, but my efforts will not stop there. There is no end to what I am doing, in fact. I am in this for life.

You have to figure out the way you can do things so that it feels good and that you want to live that way forever. Otherwise, what is the point?

1 comment:

  1. (sorry if this is a duplicate - I think blogspot ate my prior (longer) comment)
    Wow, what a milestone, congratulations! Those NSV's can be the most motivating things, really. Although the number changes are nice, too, LOL!

    ReplyDelete