Saturday, November 22, 2014

Progress, ever and always

I can't tell you how many times thoughts have crossed my mind that I want to share here in the past week +, but it just doesn't seem to happen. Laziness, I guess, and partially writer's block.

I've had a stay-at-home week since Tuesday, too! I didn't get snowed in my neighborhood, but much of the rest of the region did in a big way and so lots of things just shut down, including my office. Instead of feeling productive, though, I ended up doing a lot of lazing around contrasted with a good deal of physical activity – nothing creative like I really should have. (Here goes my feeling like a failure as an artist thing...) BUT I have been feeling this unexplainable sense of unbridled energy, or not being able to stay still for too long. I think exercise begets exercise, in whatever form, and I've been doing more than ever. Five days a weeks two weeks in a row now!

Big news is that I walked a 4.1 miler last weekend. I'd set out to do another 5K distance just around the neighborhood (I decided to do this on most weekends from here on out), and ended up detouring to Devil's Hole State Park and walking the easier part of trail there – it was a chilly morning with a dusting of snow on the ground and the river at my side. I ended up walking all the way to Whirlpool State Park because I was feeling good. It's amazing how you can surprise yourself when you go outside your comfort zone just a little.

I also started training to run for 30 minutes with a Runtastic app. I just finished the third and last session of week 1 today. It runs for 6 weeks. It's a little bit more challenging than the C25K program and so I may end up just jumping over to that instead, but we'll see. Either way it feels great to be back into running, however slow I do it. (Pretty damn slow!)

Eating has been just fine. I guess one of the reasons why I like exercising so much is that it lets me eat more, quite honestly. It affords me the ability to eat, say, something decadently sweet almost every day. On the other hand, I am careful to balance out what I eat with many healthy choices, too – lots of fruits and veggies for sure. That balance is what it is all about and is what will make this life choice sustainable forever. I don't even feel silly saying that, because it's really, really, really real this time.

I finally got it right. I'm eating great, I'm feeling great. I'm feeling powerful and strong from the workouts I do – a combination of easier walks (30+ minutes), longer treks, running sprinkled in, plus intense strength training sessions. You guys, weight work is SO important. Soon I will be on my own with it as I finish up my "subscription" with my trainer, but I have learned a lot since May and feel confident that I can continue doing what I need to do on my own – though I will bump into my trainer at the gym once in a while, I am sure! He's the best!

My weight is down to 315, something I was hoping for in time for Thanksgiving.

Speaking of Thanksgiving. If you're reading this, maybe you're wondering whether I am freaking out over it. I think a lot of folks who are trying to lose weight are, or at the very least trying to figure out how to healthify the holiday.

No, not me. To my mind, Thanksgiving (or any other special event) is but one day to deal with. It only comes once a year and I do all the cooking for it. I love it. I am NOT interested in healthifying it whatsoever, either. I will eat what I want to, and I will super enjoy it. Chances are, I won't eat as much as I did in the past simply because my appetite is smaller (though I did eat a huge bowl of home-popped popcorn by myself today), but I'm not going to worry about it too much. I will log my food at MyFitnessPal as usual but not freak out over going over calories.

At the same time, I'd like to start a new tradition for myself – do a person Turkey Trot and run/walk a 5K later in the day. I'm really enjoying being active and think that getting an hour's worth of fresh air on Turkey day will be really nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment