Tuesday, April 28, 2015

More Plusses

I've been having a good few days. The depressed fog I was in seems to be lifting a bit, and I don't feel quite as stressed out as I was there for a while. This in turn has had a positive effect on how I eat. (Surprise! Not really.)

+ I'm wearing a bra that I buried away probably thinking I'd never be able to wear again, for the first time in I don't know how many years. At least seven, I'd guess.

+ I'm wearing a tank top that was labeled the same size as so many of the others I was wearing, but was way smaller. It's in brand new shape even though I've had it for a couple years – I could never wear it! I tried it on on a whim this morning, and lo! A perfect fit.

+ In yoga news, I realized this morning that I can now do a child's pose without splaying out my knees. The splaying is a common variation and I like how it feels, but the "regular" version is pretty cool, too – the girth of my stomach no longer prevents me from doing it! I like having options! And I like making progress.

Eating has been better – more or less a what you can, when you can effort to make as many better choices as I can. Balancing with my activity level, it's working out. I'm getting there, trying to eat more veggies and fruits and less candy and junk, as ever. Water levels are up, and I generally eat my exercise calories because that shit makes me hungry! I feel good.

One interesting shift in thinking that just happened this past week was the realization that the way I eat affects how my running goes. I mean, this is pretty much a no brainer, but I really noticed the yuck effects of, say, eating a bunch of junk the day before a 3 mile run this past week. (Incidentally, I did well on my Saturday 3 mile group run, but it felt like my body was made of lead the whole time.) That experience really turned the light bulb in my head on and so now I am not only trying to eat more healthfully to lose weight and be, well... more healthy... I am also realizing that I am eating to fuel my workouts and that my diet can make a big difference in my performance. I feel like this will help make my choices easier, i.e. a bowl of ice cream vs. a bowl of strawberries?

Not to say that ice cream no longer has a place in my life. It does, but maybe in a smaller bowl and maybe not every day.

Tonight after work is the last group run of the current No Boundaries session. So sad! But, it also means that I will have the graduation race on Sunday to look forward to, and another NoBo session starting on June 21st. I can't wait! But what will I do between the race and the next session, you wonder?

I picked Jeff Galloway's 10K training plan to follow, or at least the first six weeks of it. That will bring me up to a 5 mile distance (!!!), so building lots more endurance and strength in preparation for my second round of NoBo. Technically, I'd probably be ready for 2.0, but I guess I want to see how much my performance will improve doing the same program over.

So yeah, overall? I'd say things are definitely headed in the right direction. I'm feeling good.


No comments:

Post a Comment