Friday, September 21, 2018

And Then I Ate...


I’m going to be completely honest with you, as I always am here: I did go off the rails, post-Whole30. Let me share. I don’t usually post food logs, but today I will, partially to just make better sense of what happened.

Well. First of all, I feel like this isn’t unusual. If I am embroiled in some routine that I feel resolute about sticking with, and then I let go? Something unhinges in my brain and it’s hard to click it back in place. I could feel that happen once I made the decision to stop doing W30. But, as you know, I also had a plan in place. I knew what I wanted my new routine/way of eating would look like.

When it came down to it, though, I think I was really ready for a break from it, from being so hyper-aware, and from being so diligent. My first day off W30 (my sick day) wasn’t too crazy, maybe just a little -- for lunch, it was eating some leftover regular pasta that I hated to see go to waste, with a pat of butter and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese, and at dinner it was eating some whole grain (quinoa), some not-so-whole grain (a hamburger bun) and a little bit of dairy (cheese on top of my stuffed peppers). Oh, and I had a beer. I mean, not exactly what I was planning on doing, but not the worst.

Yesterday, though, was another story and by dinnertime I went to a place I was kind of scared to go, but did anyway. I had a peach for breakfast, and leftover chicken and stuffed peppers (quinoa and cheese) and an assortment of raw veggies for lunch. I was planning to eat reasonably for dinner earlier on, but by the time 3:30 arrived I was feeling slightly angry and definitely ravenous and I just wanted to eat.

Long story short: Three slices of pepperoni pizza (though the way it was cut, was more like two slices from most other pizzas), two hot chicken wings, two and a half beers. But before that, I got from the store a pumpkin cake donut with icing and a very small amount of gummi bears -- just a taste. Just a taste. But that is all the stuff I put into the proverbial pie hole yesterday.

At this point I’m writing after a pause having returned from lunch break. I had gotten frustrated with something that happened at work and it was something, at that moment, I just couldn’t bear it. It was at a point in the day when I could just walk away for a while, fortunately, but maybe not: I walked out to my car, I started the engine, and I drove myself to McDonald’s and ate a two cheeseburger meal (medium with a diet Coke) and a hot fudge sundae. When I came back to the office, my co-workers were out on their break, so I took the opportunity to stuff the big chocolate chunk cookie I’d also purchased at the store last evening and wolfed it down, along with the remaining small amount of gummis. I just wanted it all gone.

I almost cried on the drive back. I’m actually very upset with myself right now. And while I know this is a blip on the timeline and not the end of the world, or the end of my efforts, I am left wondering what the hell happened? In two days, what happened to the resolve I had?

I’m struggling to figure out why a restrictive diet works so well for me but also blows up in my face. I really had little trouble during Whole30 keeping it together, and I liked the way I felt overall (except for the extreme fatigue, of course), and I liked the place I was in in relation to food and eating. I thought I had my sugar cravings conquered (ha! Not even a month, how silly!).

All of this is to say that… I don’t know. I’m feeling really vulnerable right now and a little scared. Part of me doesn’t want to eat anymore at all today but I don’t know how feasible that is. (Honestly, should be pretty darned feasible because I’ve been skipping dinner a lot lately.)

I’m not sure where to go from here but I do know that I have to be really, really careful of how much I let go even just for one day (which turns into two, and then three, and then…). I have to get back to the mindset of one day at a time, and of the idea of fueling my body with delicious food that also benefits it most instead of destroys. Over the weekend, I must be more mindful and careful.

11 comments:

  1. Sticking to your plan probably felt easier because it was easier! It's extremely hard to muscle through when you eat poorly. Sugar begets sugar and you just crave more.

    Might you try intermittent fasting and/or keto? I know if I eat something light or carby just for breakfast I am certainly going to end up feeling ravenous later. It has worked much better for me to just cut out breakfast completely and most physical cravings vanish when I do keto. (mental is another thing).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that first statement. Funny enough, you're right. I have done IF many times and quite like it. Keto, not so much. After a few days of crap eating, I'm just about ready to go back to Whole30, warts and all, just because aside from being so tired, I felt so much better in general about myself. Thanks for your support!

      Delete
  2. keep going on, fight for your goal, courage.

    There is some products can be used to help you in your journey like thi sone (https://bit.ly/2xBLZQK).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care about the products, but I kept your comment here because of love the idea of *fighting* for my goal. Thank you for that.

      Delete
  3. I just had a similar experience over the weekend and Monday. I had been doing SO well, seeing the scale inch down a little bit at a time, feeling better. And then a social event happened Friday night and, despite all of my intentions to make good choices, I overindulged and then...every day since then has just been worse than the one before. Yesterday, I went to McDonald's and got a caramel sundae...and then, I STOPPED AT DAIRY QUEEN FOR A HOT FUDGE SUNDAE. Like, two ice cream joints back to back. That was a low point for me.

    I'm trying to get back on track today, but it's hard to shake the mentality that I've already ruined everything, so what does it matter? I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that I will be successful in this.

    Good luck to you. Don't be so hard on yourself. Thank you for sharing. It helps to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bethany, thanks for sharing! This stuff isn't easy, right? So easy and comfortable to fall back into old and not-so-good habits. I've been doing similar, eating the same stuff over and over even though it makes me feel like shit (pardon my French). Seriously. You are definitely not alone!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for that reminder. It is easy to feel like a failure and a weak/bad person, which is neither the case. I am merely human.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally relate to your situation. I lost my weight through Weight Watchers. One thing I can offer is to write down your feelings in a journal. When I gain a few unwanted pounds I drink lots of water, excercise, and cut back on carbs. It takes a few days but usually you can lose a good few pounds by doing that. That's worked for me. Keeping a food journal has helped me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, thanks for reading and my apologies for my very late reply! I actually had a long run of food logging from the end of the summer until just recently, and I may start again. I'm good on the water intake, but I really need to just cut out sugar. It's my Achilles heel and I feel a lot better when I am not eating it every day.

      Delete
  6. Hi, new reader here! You capture with your writing a lot of the emotional trauma and fatigue that stems from constant attempts to lose weight. As I was reading, I'm reminded of my own habits. My story: For years I've been locked in the cycle of gain-lose-gain. My doctor recommended weight loss medication to me two years ago; I resisted. I felt like I was 'strong enough' to lose the weight without that and that I could do it 'on my own, naturally." Two years and 50lbs (+) later, I reached the conclusion she was right, and decided to start a weight loss med (she suggested topamax, I went with contrave.) For the first time in my life I am not binging.

    When I was a kid at the dinner table going back for fourths and my mom tried to stop me; no one called it binging.
    Eating everyone's leftovers starting the second we got home from dinner and eating until I felt sick; no one called it binging.
    Holidays with my plate piled with food up over & over; many late nights visiting the fridge repeatedly eating ALL the chicken in the fridge (who actually wants to eat 2 lbs of cold chicken?!)
    Sitting on the couch eating pretzels, almonds, ice cream, peppermint patties, bag of chips, 2 cups of olives, past, a plate of sushi, one thing after another, never called it binging.

    Now finally I realize I've had a binge eating disorder my whole life, but I've never called it that and my family has never called it that. This new medication has brought me countless "AHA" moments. It's incredible to be able to stop eating when full. It's a thing I've never-EVER done before. I haven't torn through the fridge in weeks! I'm actually able to stop eating before I feel sick. I keep thinking "OOOOH! This is how the normal-eaters feel!" I've never felt it before. We berate ourselves constantly for overeating, for not being able to control our cravings, for 'eating crap,' and not having the willpower to stop. But for me it was never normal and it's not something I could easily control. I'm hoping to continue this medication until months or years of behavioral changes have had time to solidify and hopefully the binging behaviors will get left behind. Yes, it's normal to emotionally eat and to overeat sometimes. But for me it was never normal. It was a binge eating disorder, I never called by it's name. Looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story, and I apologize for my late response! I've been so resistant to medication to help me with this stuff. After all, I have lost weight without meds. The problem is, I don't get to where I want to be, and then... eventually... months or years later it comes back. So I don't know, you've given me something to think about and maybe I will talk to my doctor about it at my next physical. I need to crack this nut once and for all!

      Delete