Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Links I Love #7

I have just a few links for you today. Note that in the sidebar there is a new resource for body weight exercises – I was looking for a good one stop shop for some of these that I can squeeze in on my breaks at work. I hit the jackpot with Bodytrainer.tv!

Holy cow, this race sounds nuts! But maybe in a few years I'll go for it.

All the reasons why I post about my running on social media.

While I do think that I'd like to go for a marathon one day, I like this argument for the humble 5K.

A very thoughtful piece by a man who lost 100 pounds.

In other news, last night despite being very, very tired from the long weekend's super crazy activities (lots of tennis and some yardwork and some running and some cycling), I ran the longest distance I've ever run EVER with my running group: 3.45 miles. (Yes, it has been killing me a bit that I didn't just finish it out at 3.5, but I'll get it soon enough!) A three mile run was on the schedule, so I was tricked! Tricked! If you can believe it. I think what helped was that I didn't look at my distance at all during the run, and of course having lovely cheerleaders along the way – mentors Kateri at the beginning, Angela in the middle and end, and Marissa jumping in at the very end to bring me on home, so to speak. I was shocked to see the distance I had run, of course most the time feeling like there was no way I could make it the whole way.

I say that almost every time I'm out for a run, especially if it's a new distance. "I just don't know if I can do it," I'll be saying to myself, or whoever happens to be with me. And you know what? There is not a single time when I haven't been able to do it. Not a one that comes to mind. So put that in your pipe and smoke it, Miss Amy. (That's me, by the way.)

On another exciting note, I'm down another two pounds to 276. (I knew that 274 was a blip, but it's totally OK!) Now, I know, I know – I usually try to weigh just once a week these days, but lately I've been so pumped about my efforts it's really hard not to see what's going on. This can certainly backfire, but lately that's not been the case. It's really heartening and empowering. I can see the progress in several ways – on the scale from time to time, but also in the mirror and in the way my clothes are fitting and the way I can move. Last night at running group several people come up to me to comment about how great I look or how great I am doing, or asking how much weight I've lost, or telling me that I am an inspiration, etc. It makes me kind of blush, but it's exciting and I'll never get sick of hearing it. I feel like it gives me a certain responsibility somehow – to keep doing this for myself, but to also even help other people, even in a very passive way. I will continue that for ever after, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment