Sunday, January 29, 2023

Cut Your Hair

Friends, I cut my hair last night! Just like I would do in my 20s.

I had reallllly long hair, past halfway down my back and when I put it in front, it fell beyond my chest.

Now it is kind of neck-length. Not quite chin-length, not shoulder-length. Kind of a bob, no bangs. Cut rather uncarefully and probably poorly, but it looks fine from the front. It feels very indie rock, which means that it feels like me again.

I grabbed my big sewing shears and just chopped. They were very efficient. I sprayed myself with Ellis Bee perfume afterward, and this morning, I put some red lipstick on. A weight has been lifted.

How long had it been since I cut my hair, or had it cut? I cut bangs back in 2021, and before that in 2018 I did that butterfly thing where you make a ponytail at the front of your head and cut a bit off so you have some long layers in front. I can't remember when the last time I was at a salon.

So even though my haircut is not really a nice one, it feels really satisfying and real. It's a dose of change I didn't know I needed.

***

Other notes:

I haven't been sewing/quilting since late October. It feels weird and I think about doing it every day. I often think, "Today will be the day!" but then it isn't. 

I had been obsessed with crosswords and Wordle for a while, but that seems to have abated a bit.

Reading has been a favorite pastime again, which is nice because I was not reading regularly for the past year or two and missed it. I am currently reading:

  • Aubrey Gordon's excellent new book, You Just Need to Lose Weight..., which is helping me understand how horribly ingrained anti-fat sentiment really is in our society.
  • Ninth Street Women by Mary Gabriel, which is igniting my art flame again! An engrossing telling of the lives of the women artists who had pivotal parts in the modern art movement in mid-20th century New York City
  • I've also been gifted a book by a well-liked and well-meaning co-worker, which is so lovely, but... it's full of god stuff and bible quotes, which as an atheist... it's just kind of... Let's just say that I am giving it a chance because she said that she felt "pulled" to send it to me based on some personal convos we've had. I'm very open-minded so I started to read it just to see what it had to offer. I just don't know if I want to waste my time on something that I find mostly annoying. There. I said it.
Also, sadly, Tom Verlaine died.
Oh no! One of my favorite painters, Alfred Leslie, also died the other day.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome Back Amy!!! I am so happy to see that you have returned. Your journey resonates with me and I enjoy reading your words. Please write more. Thank-you.

    ReplyDelete