Thursday, October 29, 2015

Turn the Frown Upside Down

It was kind of a dumb morning. I had to get up at ass o'clock to get to a training session at the gym at 7:30, it was super windy and kind of spooky, and I was very cranky about the scale. I really just wanted to say F it and go back to bed so I could sleep in an extra hour.

But, I didn't. I put my big girl panties on, got myself ready and out the door, complete with breakfast and lunch items in tow (I've had a perfect week in that regard!). I did it with a scowl on my face, but I did it.

Before I move ahead to the next part of the story, let me go back to the issue I had with the scale first. It's still not doing much. I'm still hovering around 272. On occasion it will be lower, and like today, it read 273. Not so bad, but darn it! I've been working really hard to break into the 260s this week.

• I've stayed just at or slightly under 1900 cals each day (as recommended by Mindy, my dietitian)

• I haven't used any exercise cals – I log my activity each day, but I don't register any calorie burn

• I have exercised to sweating for at least 30 minutes (and usually 45 to 60) every single day

And still? Nothing much.

So after having a pretty good day yesterday, I was expecting to see something below 272 this morning. But, no. No, no, no. 273, said the scale. A big part of me just really wanted to blow off the appointment and go straight back to bed, which is stupid, right? Exactly the thing I shouldn't do. Well, I got over it and went to the gym, and the trainer I worked with today, Brandon, really shook me out of my funk almost immediately. He had me do some really awesome stuff and it made me feel strong and powerful and capable, and after about a half hour strength/metabolic training, I did a half hour of cardio as well. I'm calling my cardio routine "The Trifecta" now – instead of slogging along on the boring treadmill for the at least 30 minutes I like to do, I split my time between that and the elliptical, as well as the bike. (I was up to 13 minutes on the elliptical today!) It makes it more interesting and the time goes by much faster – not to mention that I definitely work harder and I'm working with different muscles on each machine.

Once again, my little motto regarding exercise of "If you don't do it, you'll regret it, but you will NEVER regret it if you do" proves TRUE TRUE TRUE. I am so glad I made it to the gym this morning. It totally turned my frown upside down. Big thanks to Brandon for helping with that and for reminding me that even when I don't see results on the scale, a lot of stuff is going on behind the scenes (under the skin) and that I will soon see the numbers head back down again.

In other news, I found yet another brand of yogurt that I really like: Oh My Yog! by Stonyfield Farms. I had the blueberry flavor this morning and LOVED it – like so much that I totally get why they call it Oh My Yog! It's on sale at one of the local grocery stores this week and I want to get more, but when I went today on the way home they only had the vanilla in stock, so I got one of those to try tomorrow for breakfast. It's funny, I don't know about you, but I get really nervous when I'm trying a new yogurt, so it was a big relief to enjoy it as much as I did.

Two more treats I'd like to share with you. The first is some delicious chocolate, because I believe that if you're going to eat chocolate, it may as well be really good chocolate. I am in love with Wild Ophelia's Smoked Salt peanut butter cups and had a pack today. Truth be told, it put me over on my calories, but I also figure that for the amazing workout I had in the morning, it won't be too much damage (technically I don't use my exercise cals anymore, so).

The second treat is a new recipe I found and made for dinner tonight! I swear I looked at hundreds of chicken recipes today for something different that I thought both my partner and I would enjoy that wasn't Mexican-inspired (only because I already have so many good ones I make already), and finally I found Healthier Chicken Cordon Bleu. Wow, it was SO good and pretty easy and fast to make since it cooks at such a high temperature. I ended up slathering a little more mustard than is called for on each piece of chicken, and simply sprinkled the panko crumbs on top of that and then drizzled a little bit of olive oil, rather than mix the latter two together – it seemed to me that it would be more trouble than it's worth. The other thing I would do differently next time is to broil them for a minute or two at the end just so that the crumbs get a little more brown and crispy. Seriously, though. So tasty, and relatively healthy since each piece has one deli slice of ham and swiss cheese. It's a lot of added flavor, and because the chicken is butterflied and pounded thin, it cooks quickly and stays moist and juicy. We served it with roasted baby red and purple potatoes and asparagus, which amounted to a very nicely balanced dinner indeed.

It's a recipe that is headed into regular rotation at our house for sure!

So here's to ending the day on a positive note. Hopefully official weigh-in on Saturday will yield good results, but even if not I am still keeping on keeping on. G*d knows I am trying really hard – well, except maybe for those peanut butter cups. ;) I'm only human, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment