Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Everything Old is New Again

OK. Time to buckle down. Inspired and encouraged by my partner, I am doing a weight loss kick-start challenge for the next week, with weigh-in on Wednesday, June 29th. It involves consequences if I don't reach my goal that will remain private, wink wink. But anyway, what's the goal? I know it's going to seem really extreme to most, if not all, of you out there, but I've done it before so let's see if I can do it again: I'm aiming for 277, or ten pounds lost.

I know, I know. 10 pounds in a week is STUPID and totally UNREALISTIC. Yes. Yes, it is. But my body doesn't seem to be like other bodies. It indeed has been known to either gain or lose that much in that length of time more than once. I have also not been eating so hot lately, i.e. eating too much and not eating enough of the good stuff. When I manage my portions and watch the kinds of foods I eat, the weight drops rather dramatically after a period of, shall we say... indulgence, putting it diplomatically?

I'm kind of like a school kid in that I respond really well to a reward system, and I respond pretty well when I am met with any sort of challenge and/or skepticism. So, for the next week I'm doing to keep a tight lassoooo on things and see what it yields. Already this morning I have found myself making adjustments in thinking about food – one thought will creep in, and another will follow immediately making a correction. Already I've thought about lunch time and how any given food might affect me, whether as a trigger, or for the way my body will retain water because of it, etc.

I've also been thinking about how I prefer to eat: Bigger meal in midday, smaller meal or only a snack at dinnertime. I'm working to increase my water intake, too. I finished off the last of the diet soda I had in the house a couple days ago and I have a feeling that will help, too.

More or less, I am getting back to basics. After this first challenge is over, I'd like to jump into another one right away but with not as big an expected weight loss, obviously. Or maybe go for a maintain week challenge.

Another thing I am still working on is my weekly activity and running in particular. I feel like in this case I also need to make it fun, like a game, with rewards. Running for Cookies blog posted a cool summer running checklist and I'd like to see how many different runs I can check off by the end of the summer. She has also mentioned using the online tracker Smashrun, which among many other things gives you badges for myriad achievements. I want some badges, man! I'm still also trying to figure out which running app I want to use most of the time. I may end up going back to Runmeter again, I don't know. Too many choices! I still really like the idea of that training app I was trying out, but at $50 a year I am waffling, even though I think it could be really useful – I just wish it wasn't so pricey! (Though really, if you break it down, it's only a few dollars a month.)

So I don't know. I need new toys and games to keep me at it, I guess. At least I know that and at least there are always new toys and games out there to keep me motivated!

Last night we ate dinner after I got home from work (BBQ ribs and various sides: corn on the cob, roasted cauliflower and brussels sprouts, fresh bread, mac and cheese) and because it was really just the perfect day for it, went and got some tennis in before it got dark! Oof. Tennis on a full stomach is not so much fun, but once we got into playing an actual set it was fun and I was glad we did it. I didn't win any games at all, BUT I felt like my playing was pretty strong overall. We'll be going again today, too!

It's a summer Friday weekend and I'm hoping to get some more gardening stuff in, and I'm going to wash and maybe even detail my car. Perfect weather for any outdoor activities this weekend, if a little on the hot side... bring it on!

Feeling super positive today. Let's see what I can get done!!! I cannot wait to be in the 270s again. I am determined.


No comments:

Post a Comment