Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Back in the ------ Groove



(Love this Ace Frehley song.)

I'll just cut to the chase.

I RAN TODAY!

The first time since my last 5K race twelve days ago.

I was SO worried that I wouldn't be able to do it anymore. Seriously. And even though I went to bed later than usual, I was up this morning much earlier than usual and my body was just all like, "It's time." It was not a struggle at all to get my gear on and get myself out the door.

You guys, I even wore my running tank top out in my neighborhood. With no hoodie on over it. I mean, yeah, I did that for the Gay 5K, but somehow it's easier to show a little more skin when you're among a bunch of other people whom you'll likely not see again. Wearing clothes like that to run around where people see me regularly is a big step. I'm sure it has something to do with having also worn the same outfit sans hoodie when we play tennis, and just wanting to be comfortable as I do physical activity. It's just getting too hot for anything else – and summer is not even in full swing yet. So it's really great that I am gaining confidence like this.

I don't have to hide my body.

On top of that major NSV, I ran well, too. I wasn't pushing myself, I just took it nice and easy – yet my average pace was one of my best at 15:15. I did two miles in just a squeak over a half hour. And I even ran in the drizzle! (That was actually pretty nice.) It felt pretty natural and easy overall.

Anyway, I am super proud of myself for getting out there and getting it done despite all the fear and "what if?" feelings I was having. Group is starting up again on Sunday and I wanted to be sure I was ready for it, especially because I decided that I wanted to move up to the next level (aptly called 2.0, btw) instead of repeating what I did last session. The qualifier for 2.0 is that you must be able to run two miles at a 16 minute pace or better. Check and check, people! I may as well move ahead instead of staying in the same place, yes? I'm capable.

Basically, 2.0 is for people who have successfully run a 5K and want to improve their pace and feel more comfortable with the distance. (3.0 is also available for people who want to go longer distances, I think up to 10K.) I am so there.

Super psyched.

No comments:

Post a Comment