Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Two Challenges

OK, I am ready for some more hustle!

I already mentioned my running challenge yesterday – inspired by Roni at Roni's Weigh, I am committing to running at least one mile every single day for the next 30 days. Some days I will be running longer, but the only requirement is one little teeny tiny mile.

I'm doing this because I really want to renew my commitment to running and I want to establish a good routine again. My friend Amy F. gave me a good talking to after Bubble Run about it and encouraged me not to lose all the progress I've made in the past year+, even just to run twice a week. I thought hard about it and my roadblocks have been feeling like I have to run, say, two or three miles for it to be legit, or that I have to keep working on improving my pace or distance.

At this point though – which feels like a major crossroads, by the way – all I really want to do now is keep running without so much worry about constantly running longer and/or faster. I want to enjoy the fact that my body can run, and I want to relish in the endorphins coursing through my body every time I run, whether it is one mile or five or more. I want to know the joy of the thing. I was getting caught up in too much other stuff along the way and it has been making me majorly anxious about it.

So anyway, allowing myself the pleasure of the run and asking myself to do just one mile every day feels like the right thing to do at this point. This morning I got up just after 6am, put my gear on, and got myself out the door. I ran pretty well overall with a bit of a slowdown at the end that really dragged my overall pace down (oops – getting caught up again!), but it felt good. Then, I had enough time to water the gardens and even get a few more plants into my flower garden (poor guys were getting pot bound!) before getting ready to leave for work.



It was a splendid way to spend the morning and I think despite totally NOT being a morning person, I will adjust fairly easily to doing this most days.

1/30 completed!

Now, onto the other challenge I have decided on. Since the last one I did worked so well, I'm going to do another person weight loss challenge. This time, I'd like to weigh under 275 within the week. I'm starting at 281.8 this morning, so it is a bit much to ask, BUT! I like to aim high and I'll be happy with any loss I have during the coming week. I guess what I am mostly aiming for is to be solidly into the 270s with wiggle room... beyond that I would like to never see the 280s again.

One last thing... for the coming month, I'd also like to have my Happy Scale "Last 30 Days" be fully in the green. That is a challenge that dovetails well with my 30 days of running, yes?




Next Tuesday I will post the results, with some commentary about how things are going along the way, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment