Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Regular-Sized Sammy

Well, well, well. I am pretty pleased with myself today.

You know how I have that weird Subway thing? Where I get a huge footlong sandwich, chips, cookies... and I eat it all? This bad habit I'd formed made me feel like I wasn't capable of eating a normal-sized sandwich and feeling satisfied. Well, today, I proved myself wrong.

Let me back up a little to this morning. I want to share all the wins I had today.

I got up a little later than I'd hoped but did my 5K training homework, which, mercifully, happened to be a nice, easy workout of 4 minute walk and 2 minute run intervals. After what we've built up to lately, this was practically a cakewalk – in fact, the first run interval I went over by 30 seconds on accident! I ended up with a nice 2.5 mile distance.

Then... then. I went out on my lunch break hoping to get at least a mile, maybe a mile and a half in to supplement the morning outing. Well, I ended up going for two miles and I got myself a nice little lunch to take back to my desk. Again, it's one of those chain sandwich shops, but I really like the tomato basil soup, and the sandwich I got today was really, really good, so I don't care what anyone says: Erbert and Gerbert's.

Don't get me wrong. I love to support local shops and restaurants, but honestly, if a place has nutritional information readily available, that's the place I'm likely to patronize. I don't let this limit me all the time, but for the way things have been going lately, I'm trying really hard to be as honest and correct about my food logging as possible in order to stay on track. So.

Anyway. I ended up getting a half an Apollo sandwich (I added jalapeno peppers!) and a cup of tomato basil soup. This is about a quarter, maybe even a fifth of the amount of food I'd normally eat from Subway. And it was plenty. I had an orange for dessert.

As I write this, I am doing my best to make my way through the day without any candy, just because I want to see if I can do it. (As if there is a doubt – it's not like I am going to keel over if I don't have candy one day out of my life!) I'm playing a game with myself, similar to what I've learned to do while running: make it to the next landmark, i.e. a tree or a lamppost or a driveway. With the candy, it's been make it for the next half hour without any candy. Then I can have some if I still really want it. I've been doing this for the past hour and a half successfully. I'm going for it. I made some tea. Less than two hours to go.

(I had my usual wonderful oatmeal breakfast again – instant oatmeal with a banana, a tbsp of peanut butter, and a couple tbsps of Bob's Red Mill Old Country Style Muesli. It really hits the spot!)

Tonight we've got an old favorite on the menu for dinner: Thai Basil Chicken. It's really easy and really tasty, and pretty good for you. We just boneless skinless breasts and cut them into small pieces rather than use ground, but either way! I'm looking forward to that.

All I know is that it's nice to have a day or two when everything just feels good. If you can just slog through the swamp, you'll come to the clearing eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment