Monday, April 20, 2015

I Heart Monday



Ha! You are probably barfing at the title of this post, but I really mean it.

I've talked about this before: Monday is the chance to reset, restart, rejuvenate.

I had a rather indulgent weekend and felt ready to get back on track. I did drop another pound on Saturday for a low of 289, which was super cool. From here on out I'm on a Saturday weigh schedule. Once in a while it's hard to kick the desire to weigh every day, but overall it really makes things less stressful and more manageable. It gives me a little bit of wiggle room in how I do things. It feels comfy.

Saturday's group run with my 5K training group went well! I wasn't sure how I'd do since my hips have been bothering me lately and still didn't feel great when I woke up that day, but I got myself geared up and at the store to give it a try. I ended up covering 2.9 miles in just under 47 minutes, not bad! This was all running except for a 3 minute walking warmup and another minute or so at the end after I'd fulfilled the 42 minute requirement for the workout. I tell you what, it was an amazing feeling to accomplish that. I didn't cry this time but the joy I felt was nearly palpable. I am totally ready to run a couple 5K races, that is for sure. From here on out, our group workouts are 3 milers, and homework is 30 minute runs, both of which I know I can do. So great.

One of the NoBo mentors, Liz, ended up running with me most of the time and she had some good advice for me regarding my recent aches and pains – I need more cross training! Specifically, I need to get back into strength training and yoga. Now that I think about it, the hip pain I've been experiencing started probably around the time that I began slacking off in that department. She suggested especially squats and lunges to strengthen my butt, hips, and thighs and some yoga moves like downward dogs that I know have really helped me in the past. So, I'd like to make that my priority this week and I need a plan. Ooh, and then there is this. Some of my favorite poses are listed here!

I was doing those little 7 minute workout app thingies, and that's something I can squeeze in easily. Or I can even just do some sets of squats and lunges.

Squeezing in a little Yoga with Adriene is totally doable, too. (Love her!) 30 minutes a day? Got it.

After the NoBo program is over after the first weekend of May, I want to start going to the gym again a couple times a week for yoga classes and some circuit training. In the meantime, I will fit in the squeezable stuff.

Here's what this week looks like:

Monday (today): rest (a 30-minute run was scheduled, but I really need more recovery. I did do about a mile walk on lunch break.) I might do some yoga tonight. I did about 10 minutes of bedtime yoga.

Tuesday: a.m., yoga / lunch, short walk 1 mile / p.m., group run, 3 miles (I ran 3.2 miles plus more walking for a total of 4 miles!)

Wednesday: cross training is scheduled / a.m.: session of yoga and 7-minute blast / lunch, 1 mile walk

Thursday:  a.m., 30-minute run with a little yoga / lunch, short walk / p.m. yoga My body clearly needed some rest, so that is what I did.

Friday: rest is scheduled / a.m. yoga and 7-minute blast / lunch, short walk My body clearly needed some rest, so that is what I did.

Saturday: a.m., group run, 3 miles

Sunday: rest is scheduled / yoga and 7-minute blast / maybe a leisure walk

So there, I've also got this written down in my date book so there are no excuses why I shouldn't get this done! I want to make my body stronger and able to handle the new demands I've been placing on it.

And then... there is the eating. *sigh*

I wonder if I will always, always struggle with this. It's been hard. I could be eating better and less, but I am still trying to be as mindful as possible and always logging everything. I know what's going on. Today my goal is to stay as much as possible within my calorie allotment, which stands now at around 1550. Generally my feeling is that staying below 2000 is fine, but it will take me longer to get results. The 2000 number comes from playing around with TDEE for a while, which is now 3138. They recommend for weight loss to eat your TDEE minus 15-20%, so that puts me at 2511. Eating that much, though, made me a little nervous and I wasn't sure it was effective. Now I follow MFP's calculations and eat back most of my exercise calories. I know that none of this is ever going to be spot-on, but I must be doing something right to have lost 80+ pounds so far, so...

Anyway. I haven't eating the best, but I'm not falling down some big horrible hole, either. Today I was determined to start off the week on the right foot, so I had some oatmeal for breakfast, I had half an Erbert and Gerbert's sandwich and a cup of tomato soup, and for dinner? Why, I am making this amazing shrimp and grits dish. OMG it is so good. I know, I sound like a 14 year old girl, but OMG is justified here.

Candy-wise, I did well and only had three little mini tootsie roll thingies.

I'm taking it one day at a time. One meal at a time.

Most importantly, I am not kicking myself when I am down. Instead, I am getting right back up. SO MANY TIMES.

You'll never see me laying down on the ground. Unless, that is, I'm rocking a wicked savasana.

(P.S., I love Office Space.)

No comments:

Post a Comment