Tuesday, April 7, 2015

I Am Ready

Yesterday was Monday. While most of us will grumble about a Monday, it is also the day that naturally lends itself to beginnings – starting a new habit, for example.

And with the start of the new week, I'm feeling energized and with a sense of renewal to my commitment to good health and fitness.

As you know if you've been reading along, I've been having a hard time with my eating lately. Exercise has been no problem at all, but the eating has been veering off the course I'd like to stick with – that is, not cutting foods totally out of my diet, but eating MORE clearly healthy foods like veggies, fruits, lean meats, etc. and fewer junky things. Lately, the junk has been winning more often than not.

But I really don't want to go back to my old way of living. I really don't. So I'm not going to.

Monday is a chance to reset and start over. I had a good day eating yesterday. I didn't feel deprived but I made sure that I watched portion sizes and the quality of the food. I plan to echo that today and I'm off to a good start.

Yesterday looked like this:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with a banana and a tablespoon of natural peanut butter

Lunch: Homemade black beans and rice (about a cup of each)

Dinner: Leftover BBQ ribs (4 ribs) and Kraft mac and cheese

Dessert: Macerated strawberries on a biscuit with whipped cream on top

Snacks: Chobani yogurt, an orange, and two mini cookies

Not too shabby. Not perfect, by any means, but within my calorie allotment and not bad on the macros, either.

Today's breakfast is the same. It's one of my favorites.

(a couple hours later)

Since starting to write this, I went and got some lunch. On the bright side, I went on a walk for it, just about a mile and a quarter. On the not-so-bright side, I did my weird Subway indulgence thing. The weird Subway indulgence thing always involves a foot-long roast beef sub with tons of veggies (I get spinach instead of lettuce, though!), a bag of Doritos, and three cookies. Yes, I know. Three cookies.

I was planning to have this for dinner, but I may abstain after such a big lunch.

Why did I eat so much? Well, part of me felt the license to. After all, I did a 2+ mile run/walk this morning, the 1.25 mile walk this afternoon, and this evening I have my 5K training group run, which will be another 3 miles or so of mostly running. With all those extra calories burned, my indulgent lunch fit into the day, but... I still don't feel good about it.

Plain and simple, I don't need to eat that much in any given meal. I just don't. I remember the way I used to eat McDonald's compulsively, and this Subway stuff is starting to feel the same. I should probably just not get it anymore, at least for a while. This is the kind of eating behavior that still lurks beneath my surface and it's something that I really want to get a better handle on. a. Subway is gross, I know. I'm always a little embarrassed that I like it. b. One of the reasons I exercise is so that I can eat more. However, that doesn't mean I can eat, like, everything. (Another reason I exercise is because I actually enjoy it! Truly! This is a thing that happened to me.)

Anyway.

This is not how I planned this post to end up! But it did. I tell you what, I still feel very positive about how things are going this week. I have a plan in place, I'm moving around, I'm trying to keep things in check but I am not beating myself up when I veer off course. Nope! Instead, what makes sense to do?

That's right. Get back on course.

It seems so simple! It really IS that simple. Here I go!


No comments:

Post a Comment