Thursday, May 21, 2009

Ups and downs

I spent my time in the shower this morning analyzing today's two pound gain. I'm a little miffed, but honestly I have been doing everything MORE than right, so I won't waste too much time worrying. Here are the things that could have caused this rogue gain.

• Water retention (I am feeling a wee bloated, I may have had too much sodium yesterday)
• PMS
• Taking a few ibuprofen in the middle of the night to combat my poor, aching body (I don't know if pain medicine like that can have an effect, but who knows?)
• My muscles rebuilding themselves after some killer workouts
• My body saying, hey! Give me a break already, and then maybe I'll drop a couple pounds.

Seriously. Let me take you through a tour of the past couple days. On Tuesday, as you know, I took a walk in the morning and had the training session from hell in the afternoon. Yesterday, I actually did my scheduled C25K in the morning despite barely being able to get out of bed, PLUS two hours' worth of sweat-inducing, huffy-puffy yardwork in the evening. I've been eating well within my caloric limits and eating plenty of fruits and veggies, and drinking ample amounts of water as needed—at this point 10-16 glasses a day, mainly because I have been so active. Oh, and by the way? I'm taking a break from exercise today and probably tomorrow... though I may take a nice, easy stroll in the morning, just because. Otherwise, I've got to give my body a serious rest.

Seriously, I have got to think that this gain is just one of those things that we see the body go through as a matter of course. Because really? Shoot, the weight should be falling off me based strictly on what I've outlined above. I mean, OK, it kind of is falling off pretty well; I've lost over 10 pounds in the past three weeks! That's why I'm not going to get down or complain too much. But, as I am wont to do I just HAVE to analyze the crap out of it. Makes me feel like I am in control of something that I really can't control—normal, daily weight fluctuations.

I am so happy that I will have the next five days off! I took a couple vacation days around the long holiday weekend (Memorial Day for anyone outside the States who may happen to be reading this) for a much needed break from work. I plan to have all sorts of fun in the gardens, finally get back into the studio, and just plain relax.

All sorts of good. And hey, I will be starting Week 3 of C25K on Saturday! Wow! Time flies when you're having fun.

3 comments:

  1. I'm on week 3 of C25K! I was on week 6 earlier this spring, but have a nasty respiratory bug to thank for some serious backsliding :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 pounds is nothing to fret about. If you're on track, it will correct itself. Don't worry about it! Stay on plan and stay positive. You're doing such a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, 10 lbs in 3 weeks is a lot. Take that day or two of rest to let your body get over the shock :) The 2 lbs is fluid retention.

    You're doing really well with C25K. I hope to give it a go eventually if my knees cooperate.

    Enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete